Some of the large branches that I put aside from the felling of the red gum found a good home, forming the entranceway to both the garage and front decking. We got a local welder to make up some brakets using old galvanised water pipe from the site, and a metal bar that I'd collected from the brick cleaning. The metal bar slots into both the pipe and the base of the pole, which was cemented into the ground, giving it a stable foundation which was braced from above using box beams. The box beams taper off, giving them a japanese / aussie bush look - just what we were after (my partner is japanese).
The post was measured and cut to size, the slot position marked and drilled out with a long 8mm bit. The chainsaw was used to deepen the hole and even it out.
After carefully marking the position of the box beam, Peter notches out a slot for it to sit using the chainsaw
The tapered box beam in place, with curved box beams connected…