Timber seems the obvious choice for framing the house in this location. A renewable resource with low embodied energy. While I intended to reuse the hardwood framing timber from the old house, there were a few things that we considered.
Problems of using seasoned hardwood for framing include:
- the need to pre-drill holes before fixing (to avoiding splitting), which is very time consuming
- it will often have twists and bends in it, which make it difficult to fix cladding onto later, and to get square
But there are benefits too:
- low embodied energy, bringing new life to an existing resource
- it shouldn't bend or twist any more, that's already happened
- more resistant to termite and borer attack than soft woods like pine
- more fire resistant than soft woods
Since I was intending on building a deck anyway, reusing the old framing timber for that purpose makes a lot of sense.
So what timber should I use? Treated p…